Books are a great way to learn about new topics or a relaxing way to pass the time by enjoying a good story. There are millions of unique books in all different forms, and most households have most likely at least a few lying around here and there.
In addition to pleasure reading, books are also a popular item to collect. Some homes have multiple full bookshelves that rival the book inventory of a public library. Due to the seasons and circumstances of life, sometimes your books may need to transfer into a storage unit temporarily. Collectible or older books can often be fragile and require extra attention when packing and moving to your storage unit.
Are you looking for tips and ideas for the best / safest way to store books at a storage facility? Amy’s Attic Self Storage offers tips and tricks to keep your treasured paperback and hardcover books in the best condition.
How to Store Books – Do’s and Don’ts of Storing Books in a Storage Unit
- Get a temperature-controlled unit so the fluctuation of temperature doesn’t age the books leaving them yellowed.
- Wrap books in breathable material, such as paper towels or a cloth.
- Pack books in boxes or plastic containers.
- Label and seal the box you store them in.
- Wrap books in plastic wrap or plastic bags, this will trap moisture
- Store books standing up, this can damage the spine
- Pack the books too tightly or too loosely.
- Store the books on the floor of the unit.
Bookstores in Central Texas
If you are looking to add to your book collection, please be sure to support the local businesses in our great community.
- Warrior Bookstore
Phone: (254) 539-1755
Address: 1001 Leadership Pl, Killeen, TX 76549
- McWha Book Store
Phone: (254) 939-6474
Address: 114 E Central Ave, Belton, TX 76513
- Book Xchange
Phone: (254) 501-8638
Address: 4110 S Clear Creek Rd #110, Killeen, TX 76549
Selling or Donating Your Books
Is your storage unit nearing capacity? Are you running out of bookshelf space at your home? Sometimes you may feel that you do not need a book anymore, and you may want to get rid of it but don’t have the heart to throw it out. There are fortunately ways to sell or donate your books that will leave you with less of a load and with some extra cash. Remember to be honest about your book’s condition!
- Sell your books on Amazon
- Local Central Texas bookstores may offer to buy them for cash or in-store credit after appraising it. See bookstores above.
- Tons of buyback programs online if you have your book’s ISBN handy.
- Bookscouter has a great online program for textbooks and used books where you are able to compare prices.
In Central Texas, the following non-profit organizations would appreciate your donated books:
Heart of Texas Goodwill Industries
- 125 E Kathey Rd, Harker Heights, TX 76548
- 4004 E Stan Schlueter Loop, Killeen, TX 76542
- 4108 S 31st St, Temple, TX 76502
- 2601 Commerce St, Belton, TX 76513
- 2102 South W S Young Drive Suite A, Killeen, TX 76543
- 11 N 4th St, Temple, TX 76501
The Salvation Army
- 1302 S 53rd St, Temple, TX 76504
Central Texas Storage Facilities | Amy’s Attic Self Storage
Amy’s Attic Self Storage is more than equipped to provide a safe environment for your treasured collection or library of books. With temperature-controlled units and an insurance program, our storage facilities are ready to serve you. If you are interested in leasing a storage unit or have any questions about book storage, please contact us at 855-426-9728.