Are you thinking of renting a 5 x 10 storage unit? When renting a storage unit in Texas, the different unit size options available can be overwhelming. If you don’t select the correct unit size, then you may rent more space than you actually need (or be stuck with a unit so small that you are left desperately trying to stuff everything in).
Knowing and understanding your storage unit size can help you conceptualize and plan out what you can fit inside before you bring all your items with you to your new unit. Here we will review one of the most popular and cost efficient unit sizes, the 5 x 10 storage unit, to help you make the best decision for your self storage needs.
How Big Is a 5 x 10 Storage Unit?
A 5 x 10 storage unit is one of the most popular sizes available, and for good reason. Most casual unit renters are looking for something that can hold some larger household items without breaking the bank. This unit is five feet wide and ten feet long, for a total of 50 square feet. The height varies per facility, but most facilities offer an eight-foot unit height.
The easiest way to picture the size of this unit without being there in person is to think of a walk-in closet or pickup truck. This space is a great unit size for anyone looking to store just a few larger items along with some smaller ones. If you are still having trouble conceptualizing the size of this unit, we recommend watching this video from YouTube which quickly shows the size of an average 5×10 unit:
What Can You Fit in a 5 x 10 Unit?
While a 5×10 sized unit is not the biggest you can get, it does have more than enough room for a large item or a few medium sized ones. Below you will find a list of items that can fit comfortably in one of these units. Keep in mind that while you can mix and match some of these items, some may be better off alone or with some much smaller items.
- Mattress and box spring set.
- Office furniture
- Small dressers
- Small couches
- Kitchen and cleaning appliances
- Children’s toys
- Sports gear
- Camping and fishing equipment
Tips for Organizing Storage Units
Knowing what you can fit is half the battle, but the rest lies in figuring out the best way to store your items. Ideally, you will want to get the most for your money by storing as much as possible in your space while also making sure that your items remain undamaged. Here are some storage tips to keep your items in good condition and to get the most out of your 5 x 10 storage unit.
- Clean your items before storage and if they are wet, let them dry
- Grab your packing supplies and make sure the boxes are uniform
- If you can, take bigger items apart and store them in boxes for more room
- Take an inventory of your items and make a plan before loading your items into your unit
- Put items you may need more frequently in the front of the unit
- Start by storing your heaviest items on the bottom and stacking lighter items on top to take advantage of the vertical space available.
- Wrap fragile items carefully and make sure nothing is stored on top of them
- Clearly and accurately label your boxed items and make sure the label is easy to see once stored and stacked.
- Cover your heavier items, such as furniture, with blankets or towels to keep them from being damaged.
- Ask a storage company for advice if you are not sure on how to proceed.
Preparation is the key here. The more prepared you are before loading your items into your storage unit, the easier and faster it will be to load as many items as possible. Not only will your items be in better overall condition than if you hadn’t followed these steps, but the tips above will also ensure that it is easier to find what you need when the time comes to visit your unit again.
5 x 10 Storage Units in Central Texas | Amy’s Attic Self Storage
Amy’s Attic Self Storage offers a safe storage environment for your precious belongings. With climate-controlled storage units and friendly customer service, we are a great option for Texans looking for a place to keep their items secure. If you are a local business manager or Texas homeowner interested in renting a unit or have any questions, then please contact Amy’s Attic at 855-426-9728. As of April 2021, we currently have 5 x 10 storage units available in our new location in Waco, TX as well as in our Harker Heights storage facility.