Owning a golf cart comes with numerous advantages, such as convenient transportation around golf courses or leisurely rides in residential areas. However, there may be times when you need to store your golf cart for an extended period, such as during the off-season or when you’re away on vacation.
How to Store a Golf Cart in a Storage Unit
Storing your golf cart in a storage unit is an excellent solution to protect it from the elements and ensure its longevity. But, it’s got to be done right. So, here’s a detailed guide on how to properly store a golf cart in a storage unit you can follow to make it a simple process.
Step 1: Choose the Right Storage Unit
When selecting a storage unit for your golf cart, you need to consider some basic elements to get the most out of it. Here are the following factors you must take into account before leasing a storage space:
- Size: Ensure that the unit is large enough to accommodate your golf cart comfortably, allowing for easy maneuverability and space for any additional accessories or equipment.
- Climate control: If possible, opt for a storage unit with climate control. Golf carts are sensitive to extreme temperatures, and a climate-controlled environment will help prevent damage caused by excessive heat, cold, or humidity.
- Security: Look for a storage facility that offers reliable security measures, such as surveillance cameras, gated access, and individual unit locks, to ensure the safety of your golf cart.
Step 2: Prepare Your Golf Cart
After you’ve picked out a suitable storage unit, you’ll need to get your cart ready by performing the following preparations:
- Clean and dry: Thoroughly clean the golf cart, removing any dirt, grass, or debris. Ensure it is completely dry to prevent corrosion or mold growth during storage.
- Check batteries: If your golf cart runs on batteries, make sure they are fully charged before storage. Consider disconnecting the battery cables to prevent drain during the storage period.
- Check fluid levels: Inspect and top up fluids such as oil, coolant, and brake fluid, if applicable, and as necessary.
- Tire maintenance: Inflate the tires to the recommended pressure and inspect them for any signs of wear or damage. Replace or repair as needed.
Step 3: Take Precautions for Long-Term Storage
Now, that’s for short-term storage. But, if you plan to store your golf cart for an extended period, you should take the time to take some advisable precautions.
First, lift or block the cart. This means elevating the golf cart using car jacks or placing it on jack stands. This step helps relieve pressure on the tires, prevents flat spots, and preserves their shape.
Also, you should drape it with a breathable cover. This will protect your golf cart from dust and potential scratches by using a breathable cover. Avoid using plastic covers that can trap moisture.
Lastly, be sure to remove the accessories: Take off any removable accessories, such as golf bags, seat covers, or GPS devices. Storing them separately will help keep them in good condition.
Step 4: Maintenance Checks
Every now and then, it’s a good idea to visit your storage unit periodically to ensure your golf cart remains in good condition during storage. When you’re there, take some time to perform the following maintenance checks:
- Battery maintenance: If your golf cart has batteries, check their charge periodically and recharge them if necessary. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for proper maintenance.
- Tire rotation: Rotate the tires occasionally to prevent uneven wear and extend their lifespan.
- Lubrication: Apply lubrication to any moving parts susceptible to rust or corrosion, such as hinges, steering mechanisms, or suspension components.
Properly storing your golf cart in a storage unit is essential to maintain its condition and longevity. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can ensure that your golf cart remains protected from the elements and is ready for use when you retrieve it from storage.
Remember to choose a suitable storage unit, prepare your golf cart adequately, take precautions for long-term storage, and perform regular maintenance checks. By doing so, you’ll keep your golf cart in optimal condition and extend its lifespan for years to come.
Where to Buy a Golf Cart in Central TX
There are many places where you can buy a golf cart in Central Texas. Here are a few of the most popular places in Central TX. For starters, golf cart dealerships. There are a number of golf cart dealerships in central Texas. These dealerships typically sell new and used golf carts. They also offer a variety of services, such as repairs, maintenance, and customization. Some of the most popular golf cart dealerships in central Texas include Extreme Golf Cars, Golf Cars of Austin, Ennis Golf Carts, Mission Golf Cars, Texas Golf Karts, and Golf Cars of Texas.
Extreme Golf Cars
6960 S IH 35 Service Rd, Georgetown, TX 78626
Google Rating: 4.3 (as of May 22, 2023)
Golf Cars of Austin
16150 S I-35 Frontage Rd, Buda, TX 78610
Google Rating: 4.5 (as of May 22, 2023)
Ennis Golf Carts
10610 W State Hwy 29 #1, Liberty Hill, TX 78642
Google Rating: 4.4 (as of May 22, 2023)
Mission Golf Cars
1900 W Loop 340, Waco, TX 76712
Google Rating: 5.0 (as of May 22, 2023)
Texas Golf Karts
144 Cherokee Trail, Woodway, TX 76712
Google Rating: 4.8 (as of May 22, 2023)
Also, online retailers generally offer a wide selection. Or, you can try private sellers. The latter is a great option if you’re looking for a specific model or make of golf cart. However, it’s important to be careful when buying from a private seller. Make sure to inspect the golf cart carefully before you buy it.
Then, you can refer back to this information when it comes time to put your golf cart in a storage unit.
Store Your Golf Cart with Amy’s Attic Self Storage
For over 17 years Amy’s Attic Self Storage has been an active member of the Central Texas business community. With five locations throughout Central TX, our clean and modern storage facilities offer an accessible and secure place for both your residential and business storage needs. If you are interested in renting a storage unit to store a golf cart, or if you have any questions, then please “Rent Now” on our website or visit one of our storage facilities in person.